Synonyms for accustoms
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-kuhs-tuh m|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈkʌs təm|
Définition of accustomsOrigin :
- early 15c., from Old French acostumer (12c., Modern French accoutumer), from à "to" (see ad-) + costume (see costume (n.)). Related: Accustomed; accustoming.
- verb get used to
- It is the same thing if he accustoms them to Eastern, or Spanish, or any other line.
- Extract from : « A Girl of the Commune » by George Alfred Henty
- Time, philosophy tells us, accustoms man to almost anything.
- Extract from : « The Hickory Limb » by Parker Fillmore
- It accustoms you to cold and wet, and that's all to the good.
- Extract from : « Punch, Or the London Charivari, Volume 148, January 6th, 1915 » by Various
- It makes them temperate, accustoms them to be handled, and develops their muscles.
- Extract from : « Road Scrapings: Coaches and Coaching » by M. E. Haworth
- In time it accustoms itself to anything which secures happiness for its object.
- Extract from : « Clover » by Susan Coolidge
- I do not draw them, but I see them in place, and my spirit is content, accustoms itself to the impression.
- Extract from : « Rodin: The Man and his Art » by Judith Cladel
- This accustoms the mind to sound exertion, and not to fits of attention.
- Extract from : « A Treatise on Anatomy, Physiology, and Hygiene (Revised Edition) » by Calvin Cutter
- This accustoms one to those conditions, and is a decided advantage if one expects to enter the competitions.
- Extract from : « Pistol and Revolver Shooting » by A. L. A. Himmelwright
- The question is, can one accustom himself to the ankles feeling cool, just as he accustoms himself to his face feeling cool.
- Extract from : « Why Worry? » by George Lincoln Walton, M.D.
- In peace, however, they may be valuable for the very fact that it accustoms a pilot to unexpected changes in the air.
- Extract from : « Opportunities in Aviation » by Arthur Sweetser
Words or expressions associated with your search
- accurate knowledge
- accustomed to
- be inaccurate
- in accuracies
- in accuracy
- in accurate
- in accurately
- un accustomed
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019