Synonyms for modify
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : mod-uh-fahy|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈmɒd əˌfaɪ|
Top 10 synonyms for modify Other synonyms for the word modify
- shift gears
- switch over
- tone down
- turn one around
- turn over new leaf
- turn the corner
- turn the tables
Définition of modifyOrigin :
- late 14c., from Old French modifier (14c.), from Latin modificare "to limit, measure off, restrain," from modus "measure, manner" (see mode (n.1)) + root of facere "to make" (see factitious). Related: Modified; modifying.
- verb alter, change
- verb lessen, reduce
- As respects this allocation, how would I modify that instrument?
- Extract from : « 'Tis Sixty Years Since » by Charles Francis Adams
- We modify it in these degenerate days to "blood will have money:"
- Extract from : « Punchinello, Vol. 1, No. 2, April 9, 1870 » by Various
- The result of this attempt to modify the scheme was the Indian mutiny.
- Extract from : « The History of the First West India Regiment » by A. B. Ellis
- It is his to choose his environment; it is his to modify his environment when he cannot leave it.
- Extract from : « The Meaning of Evolution » by Samuel Christian Schmucker
- He found cause to modify the excellent impression he had received at first.
- Extract from : « St. Martin's Summer » by Rafael Sabatini
- I'll have to modify one of the motors a little, but it's not a hard job.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science July 1930 » by Various
- Pierre can but wait, powerless to avert or modify any impending crisis.
- Extract from : « Oswald Langdon » by Carson Jay Lee
- Then we were able to modify that to heave sand and to let it tap the ionosphere.
- Extract from : « Sand Doom » by William Fitzgerald Jenkins
- The only result of the objections raised to it was to modify some of its theories.
- Extract from : « The Oriental Religions in Roman Paganism » by Franz Cumont
- I persisted in the statement I had already made, and refused to modify it in any manner.
- Extract from : « Breaking Away » by Oliver Optic
Antonyms for modify
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019