Synonyms for vary
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : vair-ee|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈvɛər i|
Top 10 synonyms for vary Other synonyms for the word vary
Définition of varyOrigin :
- mid-14c. (transitive); late 14c. (intransitive), from Old French varier, from Latin variare "change, alter, make different," from varius "varied, different, spotted;" perhaps related to varus "bent, crooked, knock-kneed," and varix "varicose vein," from a PIE root *wer- (1) "high raised spot or other bodily infirmity" (cf. Old English wearte "wart," Swedish varbulde "pus swelling," Latin verruca "wart"). Related: Varied; varying.
- verb change
- The nature of these ties must vary with the different problems of different areas.
- Extract from : « United States Presidents' Inaugural Speeches » by Various
- He was something to vary the monotony of the great solemn silence of our world.
- Extract from : « The Long Labrador Trail » by Dillon Wallace
- They vary in form, color, and disposition, and also in the quality of their hair.
- Extract from : « Concerning Cats » by Helen M. Winslow
- These are very novel, beautiful to look at, and the flavors may vary to taste.
- Extract from : « Culture and Cooking » by Catherine Owen
- He might vary in the expression of his belief, but the belief itself was as immovable as the mountains.
- Extract from : « Changing Winds » by St. John G. Ervine
- The number may vary on one side or the other, but this is a fair estimate.
- Extract from : « The Past Condition of Organic Nature » by Thomas H. Huxley
- And, lastly, the dispositions and voices of the birds may vary.
- Extract from : « The Perpetuation Of Living Beings, Hereditary Transmission And Variation » by Thomas H. Huxley
- Then vary the speed to see what the maximum charging rate is.
- Extract from : « The Automobile Storage Battery » by O. A. Witte
- I could vary the focal point from a few feet to several miles.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science, March 1930 » by Various
- It may vary, and should vary considerably in different cases.
- Extract from : « College Teaching » by Paul Klapper
Antonyms for vary
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019