Synonyms for alter
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : awl-ter|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈɔl tər|
Top 10 synonyms for alter Other synonyms for the word alter
Définition of alterOrigin :
- late 14c., "to change (something)," from Old French alterer "change, alter," from Medieval Latin alterare "to change," from Latin alter "the other (of the two)," from PIE *al- "beyond" (see alias (adv.)) + comparative suffix -ter (cf. other). Intransitive sense "to become otherwise" first recorded 1580s. Related: Altered; altering.
- verb change
- verb sterilize animal
- This, I dare say, will make them alter their behaviour to you.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- To this he consents; but he has not courage to alter the family customs.
- Extract from : « Life in London » by Edwin Hodder
- Christine might be right, but that did not alter things for him.
- Extract from : « K » by Mary Roberts Rinehart
- They often say in their Gnomic aphorisms, ‘Even the Gods cannot alter the past.’
- Extract from : « De Profundis » by Oscar Wilde
- It was all in vain, he confesses; he could not alter the convictions of the Empress.
- Extract from : « Camps, Quarters and Casual Places » by Archibald Forbes
- To say that an officer is never, for any object, to alter his orders, is what I cannot comprehend.
- Extract from : « The Life of Horatio Lord Nelson » by Robert Southey
- I cannot say that I am pleased with all I have written—yet will not now alter it.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- That she would so alter her affairs that I might be entangled in no lawsuits.
- Extract from : « The Works of Whittier, Volume VI (of VII) » by John Greenleaf Whittier
- "That is one of the habits I must alter in the children," thought Constance.
- Extract from : « The Channings » by Mrs. Henry Wood
- However much you may try to explain it, you cannot alter it.
- Extract from : « The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete » by Emile Zola
Antonyms for alter
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019