Synonyms for restrict
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ri-strikt|
|Phonetic Transcription : rɪˈstrɪkt|
Top 10 synonyms for restrict Other synonyms for the word restrict
- bottle up
- come down on
- cool down
- hang up
- hem in
- hold back
- hold down
- keep within bounds
- keep within limits
- pin down
- put away
- put on ice
- send up
- shut in
Définition of restrictOrigin :
- 1530s, from Latin restrictus, past participle of restringere (see restriction). Regarded 18c. as a Scottishism. Related: Restricted; restricting.
- verb confine, limit situation or ability to participate
- Restrict yourself to a pint of claret, and that of the lightest, for the future.
- Extract from : « The Strand Magazine, Volume V, Issue 25, January 1893 » by Various
- The lines that follow seem to restrict it here to the latter sense.
- Extract from : « Y Gododin » by Aneurin
- If I find you abuse the privilege, I shall have to restrict you.
- Extract from : « Rollo in Paris » by Jacob Abbott
- Steps have already been taken to restrict the imports of luxuries.
- Extract from : « Punch, or the London Charivari, Vol. 150, February 23, 1916 » by Various
- And we shall, further, have to restrict ourselves in the main to our exports.
- Extract from : « Up To Date Business » by Various
- In his later essays we are taught that he does not mean to restrict it to the Bible.
- Extract from : « Fragments of science, V. 1-2 » by John Tyndall
- The evil is not in the restriction; but in the fact that nothing can ever restrict the restriction.
- Extract from : « What I Saw in America » by G. K. Chesterton
- Must you restrict yourself to mere 'comfort and respectability'?
- Extract from : « Daisy » by Elizabeth Wetherell
- She might restrict my eatables, but I'd be hanged if I was going to have her meddle with my drinks.
- Extract from : « Dream Days » by Kenneth Grahame
- He distrusted power and naturally sought to restrict its exercise.
- Extract from : « Great Men and Famous Women. Vol. 4 of 8 » by Various
Antonyms for restrict
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019