Synonyms for remit
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : verb, noun ri-mit; noun ree-mit|
|Phonetic Transcription : verb, noun rɪˈmɪt; noun ˈri mɪt|
Top 10 synonyms for remit Other synonyms for the word remit
- ease up
- fall away
- hold off
- hold up
- make payment
- put off
Définition of remitOrigin :
- late 14c., "to forgive, pardon," from Latin remittere "send back, slacken, let go back, abate," from re- "back" (see re-) + mittere "to send" (see mission). Meaning "allow to remain unpaid" is from mid-15c. Meaning "send money (to someone)" first recorded 1630s. Related: Remitted; remitting.
- verb send, transfer
- verb stop, postpone
- The stoutest antagonist, if he remit his watch a moment, is oppressed.
- Extract from : « An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding » by David Hume
- Yes—Mademoiselle had charged her to remit the billet to Monsieur.
- Extract from : « The Incomplete Amorist » by E. Nesbit
- Be so good as send me Fergusson, by Connell, and I will remit you the money.
- Extract from : « The Letters of Robert Burns » by Robert Burns
- You will remit to her my casket, in which all my private papers are kept.
- Extract from : « The Memoirs of Madame de Montespan, Complete » by Madame La Marquise De Montespan
- They say Shuffles is teasing him to remit the rest of the penalty.
- Extract from : « Down the Rhine » by Oliver Optic
- By these reasons he was persuaded to bridle his anger, and remit the severity of his oath.
- Extract from : « Great Pirate Stories » by Various
- But he reserved to himself alone the power to remit the entire satisfaction.
- Extract from : « The Smalcald Articles » by Martin Luther
- To show that no injury to his fortunes was intended, the King was pleased to remit the tax of 300l.
- Extract from : « Raleigh » by Edmund Gosse
- I could indeed, and would, remit a trifle, on hearing the worst.
- Extract from : « Imaginary Conversations and Poems » by Walter Savage Landor
- Remit as much of your money as you can to where it will be secure from the spoilers.
- Extract from : « Snarley-yow » by Frederick Marryat
Antonyms for remit
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019