Synonyms for assent
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : uh-sent|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈsɛnt|
Top 10 synonyms for assent Other synonyms for the word assent
Définition of assentOrigin :
- c.1300, from Old French assentir "agree; get used to" (12c.), from Latin assentare "to agree with," frequentative of assentire, from ad- "to" (see ad-) + sentire "to feel, think" (see sense (n.)). Related: Assented; assenting.
- noun agreement
- verb agree
- And then, as the other nodded in assent, she spoke with a compelling kindliness.
- Extract from : « Within the Law » by Marvin Dana
- The foreman only glanced at him in silence, and the young man took this for assent.
- Extract from : « The Gentleman From Indiana » by Booth Tarkington
- And the women would slowly nod their heads in token of assent.
- Extract from : « My Double Life » by Sarah Bernhardt
- I gave a sort of assent--attended with nausea--and turned to my saddle, but he clung.
- Extract from : « The Cavalier » by George Washington Cable
- And the wife, looking at him with wet eyes, nodded an assent.
- Extract from : « Southern Lights and Shadows » by Various
- She moved her head slowly, a sign of assent, also of dismissal.
- Extract from : « The Avenger » by E. Phillips Oppenheim
- I could not but assent to all these truisms—for I felt conscience-stricken.
- Extract from : « Graham's Magazine Vol XXXII. No. 3. March 1848 » by Various
- She was not sure which he meant, whether his assent was to her hope or to the fact of his happiness.
- Extract from : « A Spirit in Prison » by Robert Hichens
- Again Oswald made his signs, and again the captain gave his assent.
- Extract from : « The Pirate and The Three Cutters » by Frederick Marryat
- I agree with you, he replied, and am ready to give my assent to the law.
- Extract from : « The Republic » by Plato
Antonyms for assent
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019