Synonyms for adopt
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-dopt|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈdɒpt|
Top 10 synonyms for adopt Other synonyms for the word adopt
Définition of adoptOrigin :
- c.1500, a back-formation from adoption or else from Middle French adopter or directly from Latin adoptare "take by choice, choose for oneself, select, choose" (especially a child). Originally in English also of friends, fathers, citizens, etc. Sense of "to legally take as one's own child" and that of "to embrace, espouse" a practice, method, etc. are from c.1600. Related: Adopted; adopting.
- verb choose or take something as one's own
- verb legally care for another's child
- He would not adopt a nameless orphan, found with a poor goatherd of Phelle.
- Extract from : « Philothea » by Lydia Maria Child
- I can hardly think that Parliament will adopt a different view.
- Extract from : « Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, No. 327 » by Various
- She's rather too old, and I'm rather too young to adopt her; but I daresay she would marry me.
- Extract from : « Weighed and Wanting » by George MacDonald
- Because he had come to live there was no reason why it should adopt him.
- Extract from : « K » by Mary Roberts Rinehart
- She seemed to take charge, to adopt me with the house, to accept and audit and vouch for us.
- Extract from : « The Bacillus of Beauty » by Harriet Stark
- They often talked together of their mutual wish to adopt her.
- Extract from : « The Dream » by Emile Zola
- She is as bad as she can well be, therefore I implore you to take her home with you and adopt her.
- Extract from : « Punchinello, Vol. 1, No. 15, July 9, 1870 » by Various
- The Northern States were slow to adopt the Democratic creed.
- Extract from : « The Works of Whittier, Volume VII (of VII) » by John Greenleaf Whittier
- On the contrary, he was able to play the innocent and to adopt an amiable rle.
- Extract from : « Casanova's Homecoming » by Arthur Schnitzler
- There was nothing to do but adopt little Eloise Pointelle for my own.
- Extract from : « The Inn at the Red Oak » by Latta Griswold
Antonyms for adopt
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019