Synonyms for imitate
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : im-i-teyt|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈɪm ɪˌteɪt|
Top 10 synonyms for imitate Other synonyms for the word imitate
- be like
- do like
- do likewise
- follow in footsteps
- follow suit
- look like
- model after
- pattern after
- play a part
- put on
- send up
- take off
Définition of imitateOrigin :
- 1530s, a back-formation from imitation or imitator, or else from Latin imitatus. Related: Imitated; imitating. An Old English word for this was æfterhyrigan.
- verb pretend to be; do an impression of
- If we imitate Lydia in diligence, let us not forget to imitate her in piety.
- Extract from : « Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. II » by Francis Augustus Cox
- I shot the question at him and tried to imitate gimlets with my eyes.
- Extract from : « It Happened in Egypt » by C. N. Williamson
- I desire to imitate the committee in their refinement and delicacy of distinction.
- Extract from : « Slavery Ordained of God » by Rev. Fred A. Ross, D.D.
- Here David ended his instructions for the time; and I will imitate him.
- Extract from : « Freeland » by Theodor Hertzka
- I loved and admired him to a degree of enthusiasm, and of course strove to imitate him.
- Extract from : « The Letters of Robert Burns » by Robert Burns
- They could cook, sew, imitate birds, and read things in the stars.
- Extract from : « Pee-wee Harris » by Percy Keese Fitzhugh
- Young wished to imitate him, but fell off his horse in the attempt.
- Extract from : « Self-Help » by Samuel Smiles
- I was but showing how closely the Evil One can imitate the workings of the Spirit.'
- Extract from : « Micah Clarke » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- We cannot, therefore, condescend to imitate him in the way you speak of.
- Extract from : « Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine - Volume 57, No. 352, February 1845 » by Various
- Their plumage is quite beautiful, and so changeable that no painting can imitate it.
- Extract from : « The History of Louisiana » by Le Page Du Pratz
Antonyms for imitate
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019