Synonyms for travesty
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : trav-uh-stee|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈtræv ə sti|
Top 10 synonyms for travesty Other synonyms for the word travesty
Définition of travestyOrigin :
- 1670s, from adjective meaning "dressed so as to be made ridiculous, parodied, burlesqued" (c.1660s), from French travesti "dressed in disguise," past participle of travestir "to disguise" (1590s), from Italian travestire "to disguise," from Latin trans- "over" (see trans-) + vestire "to clothe" (see wear (v.)).
- noun spoof, ridicule
- verb ridicule, spoof
- I stretched my lips in that travesty of a smile I had seen the others use.
- Extract from : « The Floating Island of Madness » by Jason Kirby
- It long ago learned that marriage is a travesty and our marriage a nightmare.
- Extract from : « Still Jim » by Honor Willsie Morrow
- That's why this whole thing is a travesty of love and marriage.
- Extract from : « Mother America » by Sam McClatchie
- A piquant witticism is not an expression of all this, but simply a travesty.
- Extract from : « The Origins of Contemporary France, Volume 1 (of 6) » by Hippolyte A. Taine
- I take this opportunity of saying that justice in this town is a travesty.
- Extract from : « A Family Man (From the Fifth Series Plays) » by John Galsworthy
- But the effect has been too great on Tom, and even the travesty at the finish does not get a laugh from him.
- Extract from : « My Wonderful Visit » by Charlie Chaplin
- To ape a sentiment, even a good one, is to travesty a sentiment; that will not be helpful.
- Extract from : « Essays in the Art of Writing » by Robert Louis Stevenson
- The words are a travesty of what we read of the Son of man in chap.
- Extract from : « The Expositor's Bible: The Book of Revelation » by William Milligan
- His travesty of the Æneid (1648-53) was considered a masterpiece of its kind.
- Extract from : « Through the Year With Famous Authors » by Mabel Patterson
- His general theology is a travesty of the creation of the world and of man.
- Extract from : « Demonology and Devil-lore » by Moncure Daniel Conway
Antonyms for travesty
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019