Synonyms for conform
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : kuhn-fawrm|
|Phonetic Transcription : kənˈfɔrm|
Top 10 synonyms for conform Other synonyms for the word conform
- be guided by
- be regular
- clean up act
- don't make waves
- don't rock the boat
- fall in with
- fit in
- fit the pattern
- follow beaten path
- follow the crowd
- go by the book
- go with the flow
- make room
- meet halfway
- move over
- play the game
- roll with punches
- run with the pack
- shape up
- straighten up
- toe the line
Définition of conformOrigin :
- mid-14c., confourmen, from Old French conformer "conform (to), agree (to), make or be similar, be agreeable" (13c.), from Latin conformare "to fashion, to form, to shape; educate; modify," from com- "together" (see com-) + formare "to form" (see form (v.)).
- Sense of "to comply with the usages of the Church of England" is from 1610s; hence conformist (1630s), opposed to non-conformist or dissenter. Related: Conformance; conformed; conforming.
- verb adjust, adapt
- verb correspond, match
- We are not obliged to conform to any particular set of rules.
- Extract from : « Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus » by Jessie Graham Flower
- If you do not conform to society, what has society done for me?
- Extract from : « Night and Morning, Complete » by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- Why can they not conform to the Church, and be plagued to them?
- Extract from : « Micah Clarke » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- I will show them the Holy law to which they must conform, even that which they have broken.
- Extract from : « Bunyan » by James Anthony Froude
- If you conform to custom, you would not say so much of a husband.
- Extract from : « The Politician Out-Witted » by Samuel Low
- He should learn what the South Americans want and conform his product to their wants.
- Extract from : « Latin America and the United States » by Elihu Root
- The bottom plank is shaped with a knife to conform to the lines of the boat.
- Extract from : « Boys' Book of Model Boats » by Raymond Francis Yates
- Sculpture and painting equally with music must conform to the law of simplicity.
- Extract from : « The Republic » by Plato
- When we give in or conform to this seduction we generate Sin.
- Extract from : « The Romance of the Soul » by Lilian Staveley
- He is dying to conform to anything that he supposes to be the discipline of his class.
- Extract from : « Roland Cashel » by Charles James Lever
Antonyms for conform
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019