Synonyms for recognize
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : rek-uhg-nahyz|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈrɛk əgˌnaɪz|
Top 10 synonyms for recognize Other synonyms for the word recognize
- approve accept
- be aware of
- be familiar
- button down
- flash on
- know again
- make out
- ring a bell
Définition of recognizeOrigin :
- early 15c., "resume possession of land," back-formation from recognizance, or else from Old French reconoiss-, stem of reconoistre "to know again, identify, recognize," from Latin recognoscere "acknowledge, recall to mind, know again; examine; certify," from re- "again" (see re-) + cognoscere "know" (see cognizance). Meaning "know again, recall or recover the knowledge of, perceive an identity with something formerly known or felt" first recorded 1530s. Related: Recognized; recognizing.
- verb identify
- verb acknowledge, understand;
- It does not matter whether we recognize a king or an emperor or a president as our ruler.
- Extract from : « Ancient Man » by Hendrik Willem van Loon
- The bill of fare contains nothing which they recognize as such.
- Extract from : « The New Adam and Eve (From "Mosses From An Old Manse") » by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- At times he seemed to recognize for a moment some of those with him.
- Extract from : « The Grand Old Man » by Richard B. Cook
- And now, thought I, am I to be ordered down to recognize my own proposals.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- He supposed me to be some passing stranger, and did not recognize me.
- Extract from : « Biography of a Slave » by Charles Thompson
- Even then he does not recognize a man, but God Himself as His judge.
- Extract from : « A Theological-Political Treatise [Part IV] » by Benedict of Spinoza
- I should not be surprised if I were to recognize him the first time I met him face to face.
- Extract from : « Her Father's Daughter » by Gene Stratton-Porter
- "They are strange to me--I do not recognize their tribes," Kingozi replied blandly.
- Extract from : « The Leopard Woman » by Stewart Edward White
- I wanted to see if you'd recognize me, and to have a little fun with you if you didn't.
- Extract from : « It Happened in Egypt » by C. N. Williamson
- The moment had been long enough for Dick to recognize Victor Woodville.
- Extract from : « The Rock of Chickamauga » by Joseph A. Altsheler
Antonyms for recognize
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019