Synonyms for veto
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : vee-toh|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈvi toʊ|
Top 10 synonyms for veto Other synonyms for the word veto
Définition of vetoOrigin :
- 1620s, from Latin veto, literally "I forbid," first person singular present indicative of vetare "forbid," of unknown origin. Used by Roman tribunes who opposed measures of the Senate or magistrates.
- noun refusal of permission
- verb refuse permission
- He used his veto on the laws, for instance, and otherwise exercised his prerogatives.
- Extract from : « Homeward Bound » by James Fenimore Cooper
- For if the English Parliament have the power to veto our wishes, where's the difference?
- Extract from : « Ireland as It Is » by Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
- And the Turkish nation had no opportunity to sanction or veto their resolve.
- Extract from : « England and Germany » by Emile Joseph Dillon
- An important act of the legislature awaited his signature or veto.
- Extract from : « David Dunne » by Belle Kanaris Maniates
- An effort was made to carry it over the Governor's veto, but it failed.
- Extract from : « The History of Woman Suffrage, Volume IV » by Various
- "I must put my veto on any such attempts, Alfred," said Mr. Campbell.
- Extract from : « The Settlers in Canada » by Frederick Marryat
- The President has the right of speaking, though not of voting, in it, but has no veto on its action.
- Extract from : « Impressions of South Africa » by James Bryce
- The first power of the President that I wish to consider is the veto power.
- Extract from : « Ethics in Service » by William Howard Taft
- The legislature passed the bills over his veto and adjourned that night.
- Extract from : « The Plum Tree » by David Graham Phillips
- The vote in the Senate after the veto, was, yeas 28 (not two thirds), and nays 18.
- Extract from : « The Continental Monthly , Vol. 2 No. 5, November 1862 » by Various
Antonyms for veto
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019