Synonyms for throw out
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : throh|
|Phonetic Transcription : θroʊ|
Top 10 synonyms for throw out Other synonyms for the word throw out
Définition of throw outOrigin :
- "to project, propel," c.1300, from Old English þrawan "to twist, turn writhe" (past tense þreow, past participle þrawen), from Proto-Germanic *thræ- (cf. Old Saxon thraian, Middle Dutch dræyen, Dutch draaien, Old High German draen, German drehen "to turn, twist;" not found in Scandinavian or Gothic), from PIE *tere- "to rub, turn, rub by turning, bore" (cf. Sanskrit turah "wounded, hurt," Greek teirein "to rub, rub away," Latin terere "to rub, thresh, grind, wear away," Old Church Slavonic tiro "to rub," Lithuanian trinu "to rub," Old Irish tarathar "borer," Welsh taraw "to strike").
- Not the usual Old English word for "to throw" (weorpan, related to warp (v.) was common in this sense). The sense evolution may be via the notion of whirling a missile before throwing it. The sense of "put by force" (e.g. throw in jail) is first recorded 1560; that of "to confuse, flabbergast" is from 1844; that of "lose deliberately" is from 1868.
- To throw the book at (someone) is 1932, from notion of judge sentencing a criminal from a law book full of possible punishments. To throw (one's) hat in the ring "issue a challenge," especially to announce one's candidacy, first recorded 1917. To throw up "vomit" is first recorded 1732.
- verb comment
- I would like to throw out all my heart to Leonard on such an afternoon as this.
- Extract from : « Howards End » by E. M. Forster
- Dan would order me to steer this way and that—to throw out the clutch—to throw it in.
- Extract from : « Tales of Fishes » by Zane Grey
- We only throw out these suggestions for what they are worth.
- Extract from : « Punch or the London Charivari, Vol. 147, December 2, 1914 » by Various
- Shorty, throw out your chest; you're going to live in a castle for a while.
- Extract from : « Shorty McCabe » by Sewell Ford
- Throw out that bundle of newspapers; we will go up a little.
- Extract from : « The Young Franc Tireurs » by G. A. Henty
- We've got to throw out all previous ideas and start new from scratch.
- Extract from : « The Galaxy Primes » by Edward Elmer Smith
- Wal, its best not to throw out insinerations that you cant prove.
- Extract from : « Golden Days for Boys and Girls » by Various
- She began to throw out such articles as her strength could manage.
- Extract from : « Blow The Man Down » by Holman Day
- I think, too,” he answered, “but I can throw out a word now and again.
- Extract from : « Robert Orange » by John Oliver Hobbes
- I throw out a bay-window (also in dots) and then we survey it carefully.
- Extract from : « Happy-Thought Hall » by F. C. Burnand
Antonyms for throw out
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019