Synonyms for throw away
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : throh|
|Phonetic Transcription : θroʊ|
Top 10 synonyms for throw away Other synonyms for the word throw away
Définition of throw awayOrigin :
- late 14c., "to reject, cast from oneself," from throw (v.) + away. More literal meaning of "dispose of as useless, release from one's possession as unneeded" is first recorded 1520s. Throw-away (adj.) is first recorded 1924, originally of prices so low they amounted to giving away the merchandise; with reference to disposable goods, it is attested from 1969.
- verb dispose of
- verb waste
- And what workman will throw away a sharp tool, because it may cut his fingers?
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- But that does not mean that you two have to throw away your lives also.
- Extract from : « Slaves of Mercury » by Nat Schachner
- Must he then throw away his pen, renounce action, and do nothing in future but exist?
- Extract from : « Doctor Pascal » by Emile Zola
- Is it for this that we are asked to throw away the civilization which is the growth of ages?
- Extract from : « The Republic » by Plato
- "Throw away that revolver," shouted Granger, in a voice that was thick with anger.
- Extract from : « Murder Point » by Coningsby Dawson
- A stone's throw away on his right the common was bordered by a thorn hedge.
- Extract from : « Scaramouche » by Rafael Sabatini
- If you only knew what it means, to throw away the best years of one's youth in a hole like this!
- Extract from : « The Great Hunger » by Johan Bojer
- No, no, I can't afford to throw away a hundred and fifty dollars so easily.
- Extract from : « Paul Prescott's Charge » by Horatio Alger
- Nowadays you could not afford to throw away six or seven hours of a steamer's time.
- Extract from : « End of the Tether » by Joseph Conrad
- The land already seemed to be his to tear to pieces, squeeze, and throw away.
- Extract from : « Lord Jim » by Joseph Conrad
Antonyms for throw away
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019