Synonyms for rule out
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : rool|
|Phonetic Transcription : rul|
Top 10 synonyms for rule out Other synonyms for the word rule out
Définition of rule outOrigin :
- c.1200, "principle or maxim governing conduct, formula to which conduct must be conformed" from Old French riule, Norman reule "rule, custom, (religious) order" (in Modern French partially re-Latinized as règle), from Vulgar Latin *regula, from Latin regula "straight stick, bar, ruler;" figuratively "a pattern, a model," related to regere "to rule, straighten, guide" (see regal). Replaced Old English wealdan.
- Meaning "regulation governing play of a game, etc." is from 1690s. Phrase rule of thumb first attested 1690s. Rule of law "supremacy of impartial and well-defined laws to any individual's power" is from 1883. Meaning "strip used for making straight lines or measuring" is recorded from mid-14c. Typography sense is attested from 1680s.
- verb exclude, reject
- Deformities of the pelvis, etc., should rule out a consideration of pregnancy.
- Extract from : « The Mother and Her Child » by William S. Sadler
- We are at present far too ill-informed to rule out such a guess.
- Extract from : « Progress and History » by Various
- I think we can rule out the porter for he was in there only once or twice.
- Extract from : « Agent Nine and the Jewel Mystery » by Graham M. Dean
- We do not rule out purpose, but we approve because the purpose was good.
- Extract from : « Ethics » by John Dewey and James Hayden Tufts
- I've been working with scientists for too long to rule out anything as impossible.
- Extract from : « The Brain » by Alexander Blade
- A few I can rule out, because they would only cause part of the gate to fail.
- Extract from : « The Trouble with Telstar » by John Berryman
- Experience does not rule out the possible cropping up of a new problem which may shift the values attained.
- Extract from : « Creative Intelligence » by John Dewey, Addison W. Moore, Harold Chapman Brown, George H. Mead, Boyd H. Bode, Henry Waldgrave, Stuart James, Hayden Tufts, Horace M. Kallen
- Rule out frontal attack and Joe's at the end of his tactics.
- Extract from : « Four-Day Planet » by Henry Beam Piper
- "'Master' is a word I should rule out of the dictionary," she replied.
- Extract from : « Swirling Waters » by Max Rittenberg
- Do you rule out scenery as well as sport from amongst the joys of travel?
- Extract from : « The Evil Shepherd » by E. Phillips Oppenheim
Antonyms for rule out
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019