Synonyms for prevent
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : pri-vent|
|Phonetic Transcription : prɪˈvɛnt|
Top 10 synonyms for prevent Other synonyms for the word prevent
- defend against
- head off
- hold back
- hold off
- keep lid on
- nip in the bud
- put a stop to
- put an end to
- rule out
- shut out
- stave off
- turn aside
- ward off
Définition of preventOrigin :
- early 15c., "act in anticipation of," from Latin praeventus, past participle of praevenire "come before, anticipate, hinder," in Late Latin also "to prevent," from prae "before" (see pre-) + venire "to come" (see venue). Originally literal; sense of "anticipate to hinder" was in Latin, but not recorded in English until 1540s.
- verb keep from happening or continuing
- To put it out of your power to ruin yourself is the only way left to prevent your ruin.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- To prevent this, they were planning the capture of Beauséjour.
- Extract from : « The Raid From Beausejour; And How The Carter Boys Lifted The Mortgage » by Charles G. D. Roberts
- The ill consequence of which it is now in your power to prevent.
- Extract from : « A Sketch of the Life of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion » by William Dobein James
- To me it seems that the first thing in regard to money is to prevent it from doing harm.
- Extract from : « Weighed and Wanting » by George MacDonald
- However, it will not prevent the food from keeping perfectly.
- Extract from : « Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 5 » by Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
- Remove from the fire at once to prevent the egg from curdling.
- Extract from : « Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 3 » by Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
- Care should be exercised in their baking to prevent them from burning.
- Extract from : « Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 4 » by Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
- We must prevent this foolish marriage which he has got into his head, from taking place.
- Extract from : « The Imaginary Invalid » by Molire
- "Whatever she saw she did her best to prevent," said the Princess.
- Extract from : « The Trail Book » by Mary Austin
- You can keep him with you, make him marry some other person, but you cannot prevent him from giving me his heart.
- Extract from : « The Dream » by Emile Zola
Antonyms for prevent
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019