Synonyms for thwart
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : thwawrt|
|Phonetic Transcription : θwɔrt|
Top 10 synonyms for thwart Other synonyms for the word thwart
Définition of thwartOrigin :
- c.1200, from Old Norse þvert "across," originally neuter of thverr (adj.) "transverse, across," cognate with Old English þweorh "transverse, perverse, angry, cross," from Proto-Germanic *thwerkhaz (cf. Middle Dutch dwers, Dutch dwars "cross-grained, contrary," Old High German twerh, German quer, Gothic þwairhs "angry"), altered (by influence of *thwer- "to turn") from *therkh-, from PIE *twork-/*twerk- "twist" (cf. Latin torquere "to twist," Sanskrit tarkuh "spindle," Old Church Slavonic traku "band, girdle," Old High German drahsil "turner," German drechseln "to turn on a lathe").
- verb stop, hinder
- If it please you to take a leap into nothing it were pity to thwart you.
- Extract from : « Micah Clarke » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- To do what the superior power requires of him, he must thwart his inclinations.
- Extract from : « Bunyan » by James Anthony Froude
- The vigilance of Sam had detected him, in time to thwart his purpose.
- Extract from : « Chronicles of Border Warfare » by Alexander Scott Withers
- He wa'n't on the thwart, but down in a heap on the cockpit floor.
- Extract from : « The Depot Master » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- He scrambled to the thwart, pushed her aside and seized the oars.
- Extract from : « The Woman-Haters » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- He set on the thwart and bragged about what he'd do when he got back to "Petey" again.
- Extract from : « Cape Cod Stories » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- I can: she's come to thwart us; she's betrayed us—got hold of mother's plans.
- Extract from : « Where Angels Fear to Tread » by E. M. Forster
- Here there are none to interrupt us, none to thwart my sovereign will.
- Extract from : « The Sea-Hawk » by Raphael Sabatini
- But neither should he have Ruth if she could thwart his purpose.
- Extract from : « Mistress Wilding » by Rafael Sabatini
- At last: "Have I given you reason enough," he asked, "why you should not seek to thwart me?"
- Extract from : « The Trampling of the Lilies » by Rafael Sabatini
Antonyms for thwart
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019