Synonyms for expedient
|Grammar : Adj, noun|
|Spell : ik-spee-dee-uhnt|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɪkˈspi di ənt|
Top 10 synonyms for expedient Other synonyms for the word expedient
Définition of expedientOrigin :
- late 14c., "advantageous, fit, proper," from Old French expedient (14c.) or directly from Latin expedientem (nominative expediens) "beneficial," present participle of expedire "make fit or ready, prepare" (see expedite).
- The noun meaning "a device adopted in an exigency, a resource" is from 1650s. Related: Expediential (1836); expedientially (1873); expediently (late 14c.).
- adj worthwhile, appropriate
- noun resource
- Captain Baker applied himself to this task, and used every expedient.
- Extract from : « The Story of the Malakand Field Force » by Sir Winston S. Churchill
- This expedient, however, nearly proved fatal in its consequences.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- No need then of the expedient of pursuing your needleworks in her sight.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- This: It is useless to talk or to think unless it is also possible and expedient to act.
- Extract from : « The Truth About Woman » by C. Gasquoine Hartley
- For the expedient has to do with the future, about which we are liable to mistake.
- Extract from : « Theaetetus » by Plato
- That to appease God's wrath it was expedient that this Jew should die?
- Extract from : « The Scapegoat » by Hall Caine
- Leave me to think it over, and perhaps I can hit upon the expedient.
- Extract from : « Davenport Dunn, Volume 1 (of 2) » by Charles James Lever
- Your dear aunt was on the high-road to this goal, when I bethought me of my expedient!
- Extract from : « Barrington » by Charles James Lever
- We have no right to ask if it is expedient to grant suffrage to women.
- Extract from : « The History of Woman Suffrage, Volume IV » by Various
- This expedient to palliate my folly was thought of—but not by me.
- Extract from : « Some Reminiscences » by Joseph Conrad
Antonyms for expedient
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019