Synonyms for advertises
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ad-ver-tahyz, ad-ver-tahyz|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæd vərˌtaɪz, ˌæd vərˈtaɪz|
Top 10 synonyms for advertises Other synonyms for the word advertises
- beat the drum for
- build up
- get on soapbox for
- hard sell
- make a pitch
- make known
- press agent
- put on the map
- soft sell
Définition of advertisesOrigin :
- early 15c., "to take notice of," from Middle French advertiss-, present participle stem of a(d)vertir "to warn" (12c.), from Latin advertere "turn toward," from ad- "toward" (see ad-) + vertere "to turn" (see versus).
- Sense shifted to "to give notice to others, warn" (late 15c.) by influence of advertisement; specific meaning "to call attention to goods for sale, rewards, etc." had emerged by late 18c. Original meaning remains in the verb advert "to give attention to." Related: Advertised; advertising.
- verb publicize for the purpose of selling or causing one to want
- Maria advertises for a situation, in some of our first families, as private seamstress.
- Extract from : « An Outcast » by F. Colburn Adams
- Devilish cold for a place that advertises summer all the year round.
- Extract from : « The Rest Hollow Mystery » by Rebecca N. Porter
- I am the only man who makes the holdouts he advertises for sale himself.
- Extract from : « Sharps and Flats » by John Nevil Maskelyne
- This advertises us that here below we have only a choice of evils.
- Extract from : « Harmonies of Political Economy » by Frdric Bastiat
- Thurber has a drug department, and advertises them at 'a grocer's profit.'
- Extract from : « A Man of Samples » by Wm. H. Maher
- In 1798 he advertises ten thousand trees, ten to seventeen feet in height.
- Extract from : « Old-Time Gardens » by Alice Morse Earle
- It advertises the fact that your silver, your wife's jewels perhaps, are within.
- Extract from : « The Idiot at Home » by John Kendrick Bangs
- This Brown who advertises is one of the hardest drinkers in town.
- Extract from : « A Little Florida Lady » by Dorothy C. Paine
- You concentrate on a type and every picture you do advertises your devotion.
- Extract from : « Kenny » by Leona Dalrymple
- Advertises hugely; he has the whole back page of The Study about every other week.
- Extract from : « New Grub Street » by George Gissing
Antonyms for advertises
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019