Synonyms for plug
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : pluhg|
|Phonetic Transcription : plʌg|
Top 10 synonyms for plug Other synonyms for the word plug
Définition of plugOrigin :
- 1620s, originally a seamen's term, probably from Dutch plug, Middle Dutch plugge "bung, stopper," related to Norwegian plugg, Danish pløg, North Frisian plaak, Middle Low German pluck, German Pflock; ultimate origin uncertain. Irish and Gaelic words are from English. Sense of "wad or stick of tobacco" is attested from 1728, based on resemblance. Electrical sense is from 1883, based on being inserted; meaning "sparking device in an internal combustion engine" is from 1886. Meaning "advertisement" first recorded 1902, American English, perhaps from verb sense "work energetically at" (c.1865).
- noun stopper
- noun publicity
- verb stop up
- verb publicize
- Where two anvils were to be had, the cannonade was much brisker, as then a plug was not needed.
- Extract from : « In the Midst of Alarms » by Robert Barr
- The ordinary "plug hat" was known to these people, but not an opera hat.
- Extract from : « The Leopard Woman » by Stewart Edward White
- And I remember what a plug we thought my room-mate was because he wouldn't come with us.
- Extract from : « The Fortune Hunter » by Louis Joseph Vance
- His other feats were the introduction of the pipe into England and the plug into Ireland.
- Extract from : « Who Was Who: 5000 B. C. to Date » by Anonymous
- I managed to plug three of them and I guess they thought I was a dozen men.
- Extract from : « Poisoned Air » by Sterner St. Paul Meek
- Pass me that plug on the top of the clock, won't you, Hannah?'
- Extract from : « Thankful's Inheritance » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- For reasons onknown, but s'fficient, thar's Texas manooverin' to plug him.
- Extract from : « Faro Nell and Her Friends » by Alfred Henry Lewis
- Perhaps it was just for this he'd let Jason plug along on a cold trail all these years.
- Extract from : « Zero Data » by Charles Saphro
- “Take this plug and give him a rub down, Chintz,” said Iredale.
- Extract from : « The Hound From The North » by Ridgwell Cullum
- He sounded and began to plug away and bang the leader with his tail.
- Extract from : « Tales of Fishes » by Zane Grey
Antonyms for plug
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019