Antonyms for withhold
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : with-hohld, with-|
|Phonetic Transcription : wɪθˈhoʊld, wɪð-|
Definition of withholdOrigin :
- c.1200, from with- "back, away" (see with) + holden "to hold" (see hold (v.)); probably a loan-translation of Latin retinere "to withhold." Related: Withheld; withholding. Past participle form withholden was still used 19c.
- verb keep back
- They are in the hand of God—in his hand to give or to withhold.
- Extract from : « In the Midst of Alarms » by Robert Barr
- Withhold not Thy countenance from the tears and beseechings of the woebegone.
- Extract from : « Camps, Quarters and Casual Places » by Archibald Forbes
- I don't care to withhold this from you, kind and trusted Sir.
- Extract from : « Albert Durer » by T. Sturge Moore
- How poor to withhold from you your books, your jewels, and your money!
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 3 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- Why should he take pains to persuade his mother to a consent which she had no right to withhold?
- Extract from : « Heather and Snow » by George MacDonald
- You may tell my story or you may withhold it at your pleasure.
- Extract from : « The Captain of the Pole-Star and Other Tales » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- And with them came the protest that she was also powerless to withhold.
- Extract from : « The Night Riders » by Ridgwell Cullum
- But he had an alibi all the time, my child; an unanswerable alibi which he preferred to withhold.
- Extract from : « The Snare » by Rafael Sabatini
- Her love and forgiveness are benedictions she cannot withhold nor you escape.
- Extract from : « A Forest Hearth: A Romance of Indiana in the Thirties » by Charles Major
- I could not withhold my admiration for Ellenora's cleverness.
- Extract from : « Melomaniacs » by James Huneker
Synonyms for withhold
- clam up
- dummy up
- hold back
- hold down
- hold out
- hold out on
- keep secret
- keep to oneself
- keep under one's hat
- keep under wraps
- sit on
- stop oneself
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019