Synonyms for absquatulate
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ab-skwoch-uh-leyt|
|Phonetic Transcription : æbˈskwɒtʃ əˌleɪt|
Top 10 synonyms for absquatulate Other synonyms for the word absquatulate
Définition of absquatulateOrigin :
- 1837, "Facetious U.S. coinage" [Weekley], perhaps rooted in mock-Latin negation of squat "to settle." Said to have been used by the U.S. Western character "Nimrod Wildfire" in the play "The Kentuckian," as re-written by British author William B. Bernard and staged in London in 1833. Related: Absquatulated; absquatulating.
- verb escape
- Then when some one laughed she added, "You say 'absquatulate' over here, don't you?"
- Extract from : « In the High Valley » by Susan Coolidge
- In the 40's to absquatulate was in good usage, but it has since disappeared.
- Extract from : « The American Language » by Henry L. Mencken
- Absquatulate was a big word, but she understood it, having come across it one day in the Dictionary.
- Extract from : « The Poor Little Rich Girl » by Eleanor Gates
- Prudence warned them to absquatulate, and they determined to cut their lucky, before the inevitable dénouement.
- Extract from : « Camp Fire Yarns of the Lost Legion » by G. Hamilton-Browne
- The hybrid but expressive Americanism absquatulate, means to clear off; the reverse of to squat.
- Extract from : « The Sailor's Word-Book » by William Henry Smyth
- To "vamose the ranch" means to clear out, to depart, to cut stick, to absquatulate.
- Extract from : « Across America » by James F. Rusling
Antonyms for absquatulate
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019