Synonyms for abscond
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ab-skond|
|Phonetic Transcription : æbˈskɒnd|
Top 10 synonyms for abscond Other synonyms for the word abscond
Définition of abscondOrigin :
- 1560s, from Middle French abscondre and directly from Latin abscondere "to hide, conceal, put out of sight," from ab(s)- "away" (see ab-) + condere "put together, store," from com- "together" (see com-) + dere "put," from PIE *dhe- "to put, place, make" (see factitious). The notion is of "to hide oneself," especially to escape debt or the law. Related: Absconded; absconder; absconding.
- verb run away, depart secretly
- His life was safe if either of these men could be persuaded to abscond.
- Extract from : « The History of England from the Accession of James II. » by Thomas Babington Macaulay
- The great favorites at Court, Priests and Jesuits, fly or abscond.
- Extract from : « The Diary of John Evelyn, Volume II (of 2) » by John Evelyn
- One would think there was something wrong—that you were about to abscond.'
- Extract from : « The Mystery of Lincoln's Inn » by Robert Machray
- Those likely to abscond, or belonging to other Cantons, are not accepted.
- Extract from : « The Vagrancy Problem. » by William Harbutt Dawson
- This was in harmony with her original suspicion, that he intended secretly to abscond.
- Extract from : « Desperate Remedies » by Thomas Hardy
- He had cornered her, only to have her abscond into neutral territory.
- Extract from : « The Cup of Fury » by Rupert Hughes
- And he could not abscond with the balance, because that would mean the loss of Margaret.
- Extract from : « Geoffrey Hampstead » by Thomas Stinson Jarvis
- In November, 1876, Trinquet and some of his comrades managed to abscond in a steamboat.
- Extract from : « History of the Commune of 1871 » by P. Lissagary
- He is just the man to abscond with all the money and leave us in the lurch, the scoundrel!
- Extract from : « Father Goriot » by Honore de Balzac
- Even if I were to abscond and get rid of my personality altogether, what would be the use of it?
- Extract from : « Strange Stories » by Grant Allen
Antonyms for abscond
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019