Synonyms for absentee
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : ab-suh n-tee|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌæb sənˈti|
Définition of absenteeOrigin :
- 1530s, from absent (v.) + -ee.
- adj not being present
- Absentee ownership is at the bottom of the trouble in either case.
- Extract from : « The Railroad Question » by William Larrabee
- A year went over their heads, and yet another, but no news of the absentee.
- Extract from : « The Captain of the Pole-Star and Other Tales » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Twenty had changed to fifteen and fifteen to ten, but there was no news of the absentee.
- Extract from : « A Study In Scarlet » by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The problem of absentee landlordism was exciting Ireland in these years.
- Extract from : « The New Nation » by Frederic L. Paxson
- He was invited to become an absentee at his earliest convenience.
- Extract from : « Crooked Trails and Straight » by William MacLeod Raine
- An absentee landlord, too,' grumbled Mrs Pansey, resentfully.
- Extract from : « The Bishop's Secret » by Fergus Hume
- To do this he must be in residence, but, generally, he is an absentee.
- Extract from : « The Origins of Contemporary France, Volume 1 (of 6) » by Hippolyte A. Taine
- During a considerable portion of the term he must have been an absentee.
- Extract from : « Sir Walter Ralegh » by William Stebbing
- In short, the estate shows as if it had an absentee owner, or none at all.
- Extract from : « The Flag of Distress » by Mayne Reid
- At the breakfast table the next morning there was one absentee.
- Extract from : « The Harmsworth Magazine, Vol. 1, 1898-1899, No. 6 » by Various
Words or expressions associated with your search
- absence of heat
- absence of thought
- absent from duty
- absent minded
- absent mindedness
- absent oneself
- absent without leave
- absent without leaves
- absentee ballot
- absentee vote
- leave absence
- leave of absence
- unauthorized absence
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019