Synonyms for spray
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : sprey|
|Phonetic Transcription : spreɪ|
Top 10 synonyms for spray Other synonyms for the word spray
Définition of sprayOrigin :
- "sprinkle liquid in drops," 1520s, from Middle Dutch sprayen, from Proto-Germanic *spræwjanan (cf. German sprühen "to sparkle, drizzle," Spreu "chaff," literally "that which flies about"), from PIE root *sper- "to sow, scatter" (see sprout (v.)). The noun is attested from 1620s. Spray-painting is from 1902; spray-paint (v.) is from 1928.
- noun fine mist
- verb sprinkle, diffuse
- From the wave of sound words spattered out and up like spray.
- Extract from : « It Happened in Egypt » by C. N. Williamson
- Aunt Rosine had put a spray of lilac in her bonnet, "to enliven her mourning," as she said.
- Extract from : « My Double Life » by Sarah Bernhardt
- "Thank you very much," said Dan, shaking the spray from his coat.
- Extract from : « The Inn at the Red Oak » by Latta Griswold
- I gave her a spray of lilac, I remember, and you gave her a franc.
- Extract from : « Alexander's Bridge and The Barrel Organ » by Willa Cather and Alfred Noyes
- Blinded as he was by the rain and spray, he could distinguish nothing.
- Extract from : « The Pirate and The Three Cutters » by Frederick Marryat
- If these two kinds thriue, they reforme but a spray, and an vndergrowth.
- Extract from : « A New Orchard And Garden » by William Lawson
- I got up my jury rig—the oar and the spray shield—and took the helm.
- Extract from : « The Depot Master » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- Showers of spray flew about the heads of the pair on the seat.
- Extract from : « Keziah Coffin » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- Congealing drops of spray came like bullets: I recall that they hurt me.
- Extract from : « The Cruise of the Shining Light » by Norman Duncan
- Marion could fairly taste the spray of the Atlantic on the bathing beaches.
- Extract from : « The Heart of Thunder Mountain » by Edfrid A. Bingham
Antonyms for spray
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019