Synonyms for fog
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : fog, fawg|
|Phonetic Transcription : fɒg, fɔg|
Top 10 synonyms for fog Other synonyms for the word fog
- ground clouds
- London fog
- pea soup
- steam up
- visibility zero-zero
Définition of fogOrigin :
- "thick, obscuring mist," 1540s, probably from a Scandinavian source akin to Danish fog "spray, shower, snowdrift," Old Norse fok "snow flurry," fjuk "snow storm." Cf. also Old English fuht, Dutch vocht, German Feucht "moist." Figurative phrase in a fog "at a loss what to do" first recorded c.1600.
- noun heavy mist that reduces visibility
- noun mental unclarity
- verb muddle, obscure
- The frolic with the child seemed to have blown away a fog from between them.
- Extract from : « The Spenders » by Harry Leon Wilson
- Meantime a white film of fog spread down the bay from the northward.
- Extract from : « Malbone » by Thomas Wentworth Higginson
- He had seen something like a heavy flash of lightning in the fog.
- Extract from : « The Secret Agent » by Joseph Conrad
- Major Jelles looked meditatively at me, through his fog of smoke.
- Extract from : « In the Valley » by Harold Frederic
- Then he asked me, still at the window, "What's that fog doing now?"
- Extract from : « Questionable Shapes » by William Dean Howells
- A grey dusky morning, enveloped in fog, succeeded to the fine night.
- Extract from : « The Channings » by Mrs. Henry Wood
- This fog, indeed, blows across Holland nearly the whole winter.
- Extract from : « Roden's Corner » by Henry Seton Merriman
- They stood for a moment like disembodied spirits, creatures of the night and the fog.
- Extract from : « The Inn at the Red Oak » by Latta Griswold
- The fog had lifted, the sun blazed forth in unclouded majesty.
- Extract from : « Slaves of Mercury » by Nat Schachner
- The celestial city lies behind that fog—doesn't it, Christiana?'
- Extract from : « Wilfrid Cumbermede » by George MacDonald
Antonyms for fog
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019