Antonyms for cognizance
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : kog-nuh-zuhns, kon-uh-|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈkɒg nə zəns, ˈkɒn ə-|
Definition of cognizanceOrigin :
- mid-14c., from Anglo-French conysance "recognition," later, "knowledge," from Old French conoissance "acquaintance, recognition; knowledge, wisdom" (Modern French connaissance), from past participle of conoistre "to know," from Latin cognoscere "to get to know, recognize," from com- "together" (see co-) + gnoscere "to know" (see notice (n.)). The -g- was restored in English spelling 15c. and has gradually affected the pronunciation, which was always "con-." The old pronunciation lingered longest in legal use.
- noun awareness
- Yet of this interval the utilitarian theory takes no cognizance.
- Extract from : « Philebus » by Plato
- A searching by, or cognizance of, a magistrate, or other authorized officer.
- Extract from : « The Sailor's Word-Book » by William Henry Smyth
- The Chinese who have gone have been with Chinese cognizance, but not under Chinese protection.
- Extract from : « Peking Dust » by Ellen N. La Motte
- There was no cognizance of anything except this one maddening girl.
- Extract from : « The Indian On The Trail » by Mary Hartwell Catherwood
- The wiser they are in intelligence the less perception of cognizance they have.
- Extract from : « Strictly Business » by O. Henry
- Out of whom condescension is to flow is a matter of which Heaven takes no cognizance.
- Extract from : « The Crisis, Complete » by Winston Churchill
- As Smith had no wife, this could not have been his cognizance.
- Extract from : « Captain John Smith » by Charles Dudley Warner
- There were influences at work in Delgratz of which even you had no cognizance.
- Extract from : « A Son of the Immortals » by Louis Tracy
- Could such a thing be done without the cognizance of the house?
- Extract from : « The Shadow of Ashlydyat » by Mrs. Henry Wood
- Some cried out that they had had no cognizance of any plot to deceive.
- Extract from : « Pabo, The Priest » by Sabine Baring-Gould
Synonyms for cognizance
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019