Synonyms for recognition
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : rek-uhg-nish-uhn|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌrɛk əgˈnɪʃ ən|
Top 10 synonyms for recognition
- double take
- high sign
- pat on back
- pat on head
- puffing up
- pumping up
Définition of recognitionOrigin :
- mid-15c., "knowledge of an event or incident; understanding," from Middle French recognition (15c.) and directly from Latin recognitionem (nominative recognitio) "a reviewing, investigation, examination," noun of action from past participle stem of recognoscere "to acknowledge, know again; examine" (see recognize).
- Sense of "formal avowal of knowledge and approval" is from 1590s; especially acknowledgement of the independence of a country by a state formerly exercising sovereignty (1824). Meaning "a knowing again" is from 1798.
- noun identification, acknowledgment
- noun appreciation given
- When he came, Paralus looked upon him with a smile of recognition, and said, "My father!"
- Extract from : « Philothea » by Lydia Maria Child
- But the recognition of his merit came sooner than could have been expected.
- Extract from : « The Grand Old Man » by Richard B. Cook
- After a sort of shyness in the recognition, he turns back with them.
- Extract from : « Sights from a Steeple (From "Twice Told Tales") » by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- He told them what had happened, the meeting, the recognition.
- Extract from : « Way of the Lawless » by Max Brand
- And yet, it seems to me, this is the beginning of our recognition of the Divine.
- Extract from : « The Conquest of Fear » by Basil King
- You think, then, that recognition would not be a Poor policy?
- Extract from : « Punchinello, Vol. 1, No. 6, May 7, 1870 » by Various
- It was familiar; he felt that some recognition was due, for it was a woman's face.
- Extract from : « Thoroughbreds » by W. A. Fraser
- He looked at her as he sat down, but she gave no sign of recognition.
- Extract from : « The Foolish Lovers » by St. John G. Ervine
- No sign of recognition; rather a cold, frigid stare, I thought.
- Extract from : « The Underdog » by F. Hopkinson Smith
- As in a dream I heard her cry of recognition, and knew that she was gliding toward me.
- Extract from : « In the Valley » by Harold Frederic
Antonyms for recognition
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019