Synonyms for acknowledging
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ak-nol-ij|
|Phonetic Transcription : ækˈnɒl ɪdʒ|
Top 10 synonyms for acknowledging Other synonyms for the word acknowledging
Définition of acknowledgingOrigin :
- 1550s, a blend of Middle English aknow (from Old English oncnawan "understand," from on + cnawan "recognize;" see know) and Middle English knowlechen "admit, acknowledge" (c.1200; see knowledge). In the merger, a parasitic -c- slipped in, so that while the kn- became a simple "n" sound (as in know), the -c- stepped up to preserve, in this word, the ancient "kn-" sound. Related: Acknowledged; acknowledging.
- verb verbally recognize authority
- verb admit truth or reality of something
- verb verbally recognize receipt of something
- But Mr. Gladstone, while acknowledging the compliment, declined because of his age.
- Extract from : « The Grand Old Man » by Richard B. Cook
- She took my hand: It is my part evermore, said she, to be of the acknowledging side.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 1 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- This is not altogether the fact, though I for one see no shame in acknowledging the likeness.
- Extract from : « The Man Shakespeare » by Frank Harris
- Weedon Scott patted him, and his throat rumbled an acknowledging growl.
- Extract from : « White Fang » by Jack London
- But even in acknowledging this she reserved to herself an alternative.
- Extract from : « The Law-Breakers » by Ridgwell Cullum
- And yet you were acknowledging a little while ago that knowledge is not the same as opinion?
- Extract from : « The Republic » by Plato
- In any case I must lose no time in acknowledging this mark of favor.
- Extract from : « The Knight Of Gwynne, Vol. II (of II) » by Charles James Lever
- "I intended to," said the deacon, not acknowledging his claim.
- Extract from : « The Cash Boy » by Horatio Alger Jr.
- It would be tantamount to acknowledging she was for sale but that he hadn't the price.
- Extract from : « The Paliser case » by Edgar Saltus
- The stranger was on his feet, bowing and acknowledging the introduction of Mr. Burke.
- Extract from : « The Best Short Stories of 1920 » by Various
Antonyms for acknowledging
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019