Synonyms for huddle
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : huhd-l|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈhʌd l|
Top 10 synonyms for huddle Other synonyms for the word huddle
Définition of huddleOrigin :
- 1570s, "to heap or crowd together," probably from Low German hudern "to cover, to shelter," from Middle Low German huden "to cover up," from Proto-Germanic *hud- (see hide (v.)). Cf. also Middle English hoderen "heap together, huddle" (c.1300). Related: Huddled; huddling. The noun is from 1580s. U.S. football sense is from 1928.
- noun assemblage, crowd, often disorganized
- verb meet, discuss
- And if I huddle up what happened, excitement also shares the blame.
- Extract from : « Crocker's Hole » by R. D. Blackmore
- We tried to grip each other, but in the huddle we were thrust apart.
- Extract from : « The Pirate of Panama » by William MacLeod Raine
- They huddle indoors instead of keeping vigorous with exercise.
- Extract from : « Canada: the Empire of the North » by Agnes C. Laut
- Do not huddle all your men together in a small trench like sheep in a pen.
- Extract from : « The Defence of Duffer's Drift » by Ernest Dunlop Swinton
- Without even a premonitory shout a pony bolted for us, from their huddle.
- Extract from : « Desert Dust » by Edwin L. Sabin
- He left the bed and began to examine the huddle on the sofa-couch.
- Extract from : « The Wonder » by J. D. Beresford
- All the others sat around the Churchwarden, as close as they could huddle.
- Extract from : « The Old Tobacco Shop » by William Bowen
- Oh, if I could but huddle in with those poor laborers and working-women!
- Extract from : « Elsie Venner » by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
- The huddle of buildings looked gaunt, deserted, inhospitable.
- Extract from : « Judith of the Cumberlands » by Alice MacGowan
- But he sat his horse all of a huddle, as limp as a half-empty sack of chaff.
- Extract from : « The History of Sir Richard Calmady » by Lucas Malet
Antonyms for huddle
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019