Synonyms for elegance
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : el-i-guh ns|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈɛl ɪ gəns|
Top 10 synonyms for elegance Other synonyms for the word elegance
Définition of eleganceOrigin :
- c.1500, "tastefulness, correctness, harmoniousness, refinement," of speech or prose, from Middle French élégance, from Latin elegantia "taste, propriety, refinement," from elegantem (see elegant). Earlier form was elegancy (early 15c.). Meaning "refined luxury" is from 1797.
- noun cultivated beauty, taste
- Here every object was estimated, not for its beauty or elegance, but by its costliness.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- His face possesses the two qualities of calmness and elegance.
- Extract from : « A Comedy of Marriage and Other Tales » by Guy De Maupassant
- Let neatness, and elegance, and beauty exhibit their proudest charms.
- Extract from : « Imogen » by William Godwin
- Nothing could exceed the elegance of her eulogium of "petit guerre."
- Extract from : « Vivian Grey » by Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli
- You know what peculiar grace and elegance distinguish her on horseback.
- Extract from : « The Memoirs of Count Grammont, Complete » by Anthony Hamilton
- The butler's serving was done with grace and elegance, not to mention dignity.
- Extract from : « Cap'n Dan's Daughter » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- He walked up the cable with the ease and elegance of a Richer.
- Extract from : « The Book of Anecdotes and Budget of Fun; » by Various
- The bases of the columns in the Erechtheium example are models of elegance and beauty.
- Extract from : « Architecture » by Thomas Roger Smith
- He built himself a house, unusual in its style and elegance.
- Extract from : « Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete » by Albert Bigelow Paine
- There's no refinement, no elegance, in one of your sweet, unmeaning smiles.
- Extract from : « The Daltons, Volume II (of II) » by Charles James Lever
Antonyms for elegance
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019