Synonyms for refinement
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ri-fahyn-muh nt|
|Phonetic Transcription : rɪˈfaɪn mənt|
Top 10 synonyms for refinement Other synonyms for the word refinement
- fine point
- fine tuning
- good breeding
- good manners
Définition of refinementOrigin :
- 1610s, "act or process of refining; state of being pure," from refine + -ment. Meaning "fineness of feeling" is from 1708.
- noun cleansing
- noun cultivation, civilization
- For a woman of her refinement, she had the strangest proclivity for low company!
- Extract from : « Weighed and Wanting » by George MacDonald
- I am sick of Mrs General's good breeding and refinement, papa,' said Fanny. '
- Extract from : « Little Dorrit » by Charles Dickens
- I desire to imitate the committee in their refinement and delicacy of distinction.
- Extract from : « Slavery Ordained of God » by Rev. Fred A. Ross, D.D.
- Mrs. Rice is a lady of refinement, exemplary, and much beloved and respected.
- Extract from : « Cleveland Past and Present » by Maurice Joblin
- The refinement and the multiplicity of pleasures also diminish the attractions of marriage.
- Extract from : « The Sexual Question » by August Forel
- He was the thorough gentleman, a character by no means so readily to be met with in these days of refinement as one would imagine.
- Extract from : « The Secret Memoirs of Louis XV./XVI, Complete » by Madame du Hausset, an "Unknown English Girl" and the Princess Lamballe
- I fear, sister, I have not refinement sufficient to enjoy it.
- Extract from : « The Contrast » by Royall Tyler
- And besides, refinement and charm were not so common by any means, nowadays.
- Extract from : « His Masterpiece » by Emile Zola
- But it must be remembered that poor Thady had no refinement; how should he?
- Extract from : « The Macdermots of Ballycloran » by Anthony Trollope
- They are so very commonplace; no air of refinement about them.
- Extract from : « The Universal Reciter » by Various
Antonyms for refinement
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019