Synonyms for sophistication
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : suh-fis-ti-key-shuh n|
|Phonetic Transcription : səˌfɪs tɪˈkeɪ ʃən|
Top 10 synonyms for sophistication Other synonyms for the word sophistication
Définition of sophisticationOrigin :
- early 15c., "use of sophistry; fallacious argument intended to mislead; adulteration; an adulterated or adulterating substance," from Medieval Latin sophisticationem (nominative sophisticatio), noun of action from past participle stem of sophisticare "adulterate, cheat quibble," from Latin sophisticus "of sophists," from Greek sophistikos "of or pertaining to a sophist," from sophistes "a wise man, master, teacher" (see sophist). Meaning "wordly wisdom, refinement, discrimination" is attested from 1850.
- noun culture, style
- But he was resolved to use his best skill to disarm her sophistication.
- Extract from : « Within the Law » by Marvin Dana
- With all her sophistication, Tillie was vastly ignorant of life.
- Extract from : « K » by Mary Roberts Rinehart
- She chattered with the childish artlessness that at times veiled her sophistication.
- Extract from : « The Highgrader » by William MacLeod Raine
- It will perhaps not do to say that it is altogether a matter of sophistication.
- Extract from : « An Inquiry Into The Nature Of Peace And The Terms Of Its Perpetuation » by Thorstein Veblen
- Her expression, her voice, her lack of sophistication, all had the limpidity of water.
- Extract from : « The Dust Flower » by Basil King
- It takes courage and sophistication to do that sort of thing.
- Extract from : « T. Tembarom » by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- But he must do what he can, when he cannot do what he would, and only show that he consenteth not to the sophistication.
- Extract from : « A Christian Directory » by Baxter Richard
- Her sophistication in the present instance greatly relieved the strain.
- Extract from : « Shifting Sands » by Sara Ware Bassett
- A little vacation from the sophistication of the commonplace.
- Extract from : « Poppea of the Post-Office » by Mabel Osgood Wright
- He cannot understand the situation: he has to unlearn all his lessons in sophistication.
- Extract from : « The Lighter Side of School Life » by Ian Hay
Antonyms for sophistication
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019