Synonyms for acquisitive
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : uh-kwiz-i-tiv|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈkwɪz ɪ tɪv|
Top 10 synonyms for acquisitive Other synonyms for the word acquisitive
Définition of acquisitiveOrigin :
- 1630s, "owned through acquisition," from Latin acquisit-, past participle stem of acquirere (see acquisition) + -ive. Meaning "given to acquisition, avaricious" is from 1826 (implied in acquisitiveness). Related: Acquisitively (1590s).
- adj eager to obtain knowledge or things
- He was of an acquisitive nature, was Charlie—and the road to his favor must be paved with gifts.
- Extract from : « Good Indian » by B. M. Bower
- All art was divided originally by us into two branches—productive and acquisitive.
- Extract from : « Sophist » by Plato
- You have a more energetic, stirring, acquisitive, and capacious soul.
- Extract from : « Letters of Edward FitzGerald » by Edward FitzGerald
- He is silent but acquisitive, so I do not tease him with too many explanations.
- Extract from : « The Jessica Letters: An Editor's Romance » by Paul Elmer More
- From an acquisitive standpoint the locality signifies no longer.
- Extract from : « The Book-Collector » by William Carew Hazlitt
- The mind of the modern Japanese is progressive and acquisitive.
- Extract from : « The Empire of the East » by H. B. Montgomery
- The acquisitive Spaniard soon “caught on” and has never yet let go.
- Extract from : « On the Mexican Highlands » by William Seymour Edwards
- The acquisitive instincts of man were exaggerated at the expense of the creative.
- Extract from : « Reconstruction in Philosophy » by John Dewey
- This growth and development which I speak of is not intellectual in the acquisitive sense.
- Extract from : « The Hive » by Will Levington Comfort
- Colonel Nicholls had an acquisitive instinct; he was interested.
- Extract from : « The Trail of the Sword, Complete » by Gilbert Parker
Words or expressions associated with your search
- acquaintance rape
- acquainted with
- acquire a livelihood
- acquired. assumed
- acquired behavior
- acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- acquired immunodeficiency syndrome
- acquit oneself
- acquits oneself
- be acquainted
- be acquainted with
- first acquaintance
- first acquaintances
- get acquainted
- getting acquainted
- make acquaintance
- making acquaintance
- re acquire
- re acquires
- un acquainted
- was acquainted with
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019