Synonyms for acquainting
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : uh-kweynt|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈkweɪnt|
Top 10 synonyms for acquainting Other synonyms for the word acquainting
Définition of acquaintingOrigin :
- early 13c., from Old French acointier "make known, make acquaintance of," from Vulgar Latin accognitare "to make known," from Latin accognitus "acquainted with," past participle of accognoscere "know well," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + cognitus, past participle of cogniscere "come to know," from com- "with" (see com-) + gnoscere "know" (see notice). Originally reflective, "to make oneself known;" sense of "to gain for oneself personal knowledge of" is from early 14c. Related: Acquainted; acquainting.
- verb inform oneself or another about something new
- Then devise some means of acquainting his friends of his whereabouts.
- Extract from : « A Bid for Fortune » by Guy Boothby
- He had telegraphed to her, acquainting her with his defeat, and telling her to expect his return.
- Extract from : « The Prime Minister » by Anthony Trollope
- He immediately wrote a letter to her, acquainting her with his arrival.
- Extract from : « The Poacher » by Frederick Marryat
- Of acquainting him with the Business during his Apprenticeship.
- Extract from : « The Life of Daniel De Foe » by George Chalmers
- When it was done, she posted a note to Heriot, acquainting him with her intention.
- Extract from : « One Man's View » by Leonard Merrick
- He wrote a letter to his friend, Ralph Richmond, acquainting him of this fact.
- Extract from : « The Lonely Unicorn » by Alec Waugh
- We have said that it became the means of acquainting them with the language of the land.
- Extract from : « Creed And Deed » by Felix Adler
- Her mother lost no time in acquainting me with this distressing fact.
- Extract from : « May Iverson's Career » by Elizabeth Jordan
- Obeying an unformed policy, David refrained from acquainting her with the truth.
- Extract from : « To Him That Hath » by Leroy Scott
- The king lost no time in acquainting the diet with his demands.
- Extract from : « Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 11, Slice 8 » by Various
Antonyms for acquainting
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019