Synonyms for academe
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ak-uh-deem, ak-uh-deem|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈæk əˌdim, ˌæk əˈdim|
Définition of academeOrigin :
- "The Academy," 1580s, from phrase groves of Academe, translating Horace's silvas Academi (see academy); general sense of "the world of universities and scholarship" is attested from 1849. With lower-case letter, academia in the sense of "academic community" is from 1956.
- Academe properly means Academus (a Greek hero); & its use as a poetic variant for academy, though sanctioned by Shakespeare, Tennyson & Lowell, is a mistake; the grove of A., however, (Milton) means rightly The Academy. [Fowler]
- As in academia : noun scholarly world
- There are the dark groves of Academe, a place of rest in a bare land.
- Extract from : « The Near East » by Robert Hichens
- He was in his mid-twenties, young and slick, his only nod to academe a small goatee.
- Extract from : « Makers » by Cory Doctorow
- After all superficial contrasts have been exhausted, she may still claim the patronage of the philosopher of Academe.
- Extract from : « Modern Women and What is Said of Them » by Anonymous
- "The Grove of Academe," replied Abbey, and the eyes of the artist and his wife were riveted on the editor.
- Extract from : « The Americanization of Edward Bok » by Edward William Bok
- The spirit that of old had hallowed the shades of Academe presided over these gatherings.
- Extract from : « Creed And Deed » by Felix Adler
- Athens revives the Academe and reinstates the Olympic games under a literary avatar.
- Extract from : « Lippincott's Magazine of Popular Literature and Science, Vol. 17, No. 97, January, 1876 » by Various
- And now if you're to be congratulated before I go back to the groves of Academe pray bestir yourself.
- Extract from : « The Little Brown Jug at Kildare » by Meredith Nicholson
- At all events, there is sufficient groundwork for any quantity of euphuism about "classic shades," "groves of Academe," et cetera.
- Extract from : « Atlantic Monthly, Vol. 12, August, 1863, No. 70 » by Various
- It was Billy who spoke, as his eyes first rested upon that eminent pinnacle of Academe.
- Extract from : « Philosophy 4 » by Owen Wister
Words or expressions associated with your search
- academic affairs
- academic community
- academic costume
- academic dress
- academic freedom
- academic gown
- academic grade
- academic grades
- academic press
- academic realm
- academic setting
- academic term
- academic track
- academic work
- academic world
- academic year
- Academy Award performance
- academy award performances
- laughing academy
- naval academy
- of impossible feats by tricks abracadabra
Most wanted synonyms
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019