Synonyms for academic
|Grammar : Adj, noun|
|Spell : ak-uh-dem-ik|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌæk əˈdɛm ɪk|
Top 10 synonyms for academic
Définition of academicOrigin :
- 1580s, "relating to an academy," also "collegiate, scholarly," from Latin academicus "of the Academy," from academia (see academy). Meaning "theoretical, not practical, not leading to a decision" (such as university debates or classroom legal exercises) is from 1886. Academic freedom is attested from 1901. Related: Academically.
- adj relating to schooling, learning
- adj relating to theories, philosophy
- noun scholar or university/college teacher
- That is why an academic education nowadays often fails of its purpose.
- Extract from : « The Book of Khalid » by Ameen Rihani
- I feel that what I say about religion is too cold and academic.
- Extract from : « The Stark Munro Letters » by J. Stark Munro
- The academic product is, it must be remembered, a bundle of conventions.
- Extract from : « The Curse of Education » by Harold E. Gorst
- Certainly it cannot be related to real business life by the academic student.
- Extract from : « College Teaching » by Paul Klapper
- A successful teacher of an academy, raises the standard of academic instruction.
- Extract from : « The Teacher » by Jacob Abbott
- Erasmus's political diatribes were far too academic and too general for that.
- Extract from : « Erasmus and the Age of Reformation » by Johan Huizinga
- It cannot be denied that the academic expression "Literature" is an ill-favoured word.
- Extract from : « Maxim Gorki » by Hans Ostwald
- Paris took the lead in opposition to the new Evangel by its Academic decrees of 1521.
- Extract from : « John Knox » by A. Taylor Innes
- He was by no means plain, his academic prestige was very fair.
- Extract from : « The Way of All Flesh » by Samuel Butler
- Hawthorne's academic connections are of particular interest.
- Extract from : « Four Americans » by Henry A. Beers
Antonyms for academic
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019