Synonyms for soporiferous
|Grammar : Adj|
|Spell : sop-uh-rif-er-uh s, soh-puh-|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˌsɒp əˈrɪf ər əs, ˌsoʊ pə-|
Top 10 synonyms for soporiferous Other synonyms for the word soporiferous
Définition of soporiferous
- As in narcotic : adj dulling, painkilling
- As in sleep-inducing : adj putting to sleep
- Happily, however, that soporiferous monotony is beginning to get obsolete.
- Extract from : « The Wanderer (Volume 3 of 5) » by Fanny Burney
- These may be called the properties of a verb; and like those of opium, they are soporiferous properties.
- Extract from : « The Comic English Grammar » by Percival Leigh
- The garden is also enriched by the cucumber, the soporiferous poppy, and the daffodil, and the acanthus.
- Extract from : « London » by Walter Besant
- At last the soporiferous fumes of the wine lulled him into a gentle repose.
- Extract from : « Library of the World's Best Mystery and Detective Stories » by Edited by Julian Hawthorne
- The English, on the return of the herald, went to sleep, for the presence of the herald always had a soporiferous influence.
- Extract from : « The Comic History Of England » by Gilbert Abbott A'Beckett
- The right Fin hath a soporiferous quality to make one sleep, if it be put under ones head.
- Extract from : « Curious Creatures in Zoology » by John Ashton
- One of these, Erdaviraph, a young but holy prelate, received from the hands of his brethren three cups of soporiferous wine.
- Extract from : « The History of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire » by Edward Gibbon
- At last the soporiferous fume of the wine lulled him into a gentle repose.
- Extract from : « Voltaire's Romances » by Franois-Marie Arouet
Antonyms for soporiferous
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019