Synonyms for scoop
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : skoop|
|Phonetic Transcription : skup|
Top 10 synonyms for scoop Other synonyms for the word scoop
Définition of scoopOrigin :
- mid-14c., "to bail out," from scoop (n.) and from Low German scheppen "to draw water," from Proto-Germanic *skuppon (cf. Old Saxon skeppian, Dutch scheppen, Old High German scaphan, German schöpfen "to scoop, ladle out"), from PIE root *skeubh- (cf. Old English sceofl "shovel," Old Saxon skufla; see shove (v.)). In the journalistic sense from 1884. Related: Scooped; scooping.
- noun utensil, tool for shovelling
- noun previously secret information that is suddenly public
- verb dig up; shovel
- "I take it that Grant means to scoop in the Johnnies in detail," said Warner.
- Extract from : « The Rock of Chickamauga » by Joseph A. Altsheler
- If we just scoop out a little sand, we can launch the boat with everything in her.
- Extract from : « Harper's Young People, June 22, 1880 » by Various
- Scoop out some of the inside, and fill them with the preserve.
- Extract from : « The Skilful Cook » by Mary Harrison
- No, what I want to get at is your idea of what should come to you, as a bonus, when I scoop the board.
- Extract from : « The Market-Place » by Harold Frederic
- The editors or local reporters watch for what they call a "scoop."
- Extract from : « Rural Life and the Rural School » by Joseph Kennedy
- I been lying here studying the scoop of this here old wagon.
- Extract from : « The Long Roll » by Mary Johnston
- Yet I do want to have an option on the first scoop on the story.
- Extract from : « Plotting in Pirate Seas » by Francis Rolt-Wheeler
- "I'm too old for scoop some now," said Ma'ame Paradis, with a sigh.
- Extract from : « Old Man Savarin and Other Stories » by Edward William Thomson
- He ended a stream of oaths, and rested the scoop ready for his throw.
- Extract from : « The Best Short Stories of 1917 » by Various
- Porportuk seized her wrist as she thrust the scoop a second time into the heap.
- Extract from : « Lost Face » by Jack London
Antonyms for scoop
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019