Synonyms for relent
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ri-lent|
|Phonetic Transcription : rɪˈlɛnt|
Top 10 synonyms for relent Other synonyms for the word relent
- be merciful
- change one's mind
- cool it
- cry uncle
- die away
- ease up on
- give quarter
- give some slack
- give way
- go along with
- go easy on
- have mercy
- have pity
- lay back
- let it happen
- lighten up
- mellow out
- say uncle
- show mercy
Définition of relentOrigin :
- late 14c., "to melt, soften, dissolve," from re- + Latin lentus "slow, viscous, supple" (see lithe), perhaps on model of Old French rallentir. Sense of "become less harsh or cruel" first recorded 1520s. The notion probably is of a hard heart melting with pity. Related: Relented; relenting.
- verb die down; let up
- Wanhope had the effect of appealing to Minver, but the painter would not relent.
- Extract from : « Questionable Shapes » by William Dean Howells
- Your mother is of opinion, you say, that at last my friends will relent.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- That it could soften or relent, appeared next to impossible.
- Extract from : « Little Dorrit » by Charles Dickens
- We shrink not from death, nor relent before any of thy gods.
- Extract from : « The Aeneid of Virgil » by Virgil
- If he were to relent and give up his scruples would you marry him?
- Extract from : « The Tragic Muse » by Henry James
- Surely, he will relent now and let the poor lad come hither?
- Extract from : « Stories By English Authors: Germany » by Various
- He was an old fool, Ernest,” said I, “and you should not relent towards him.
- Extract from : « The Way of All Flesh » by Samuel Butler
- "Al-f-u-r-d's" sorrow so touched the mother that she began to relent.
- Extract from : « Watch Yourself Go By » by Al. G. Field
- You know that I am not one to relent, once I have set my course.
- Extract from : « The Last Woman » by Ross Beeckman
- The large eyes filled with tears, but she made no motion to relent.
- Extract from : « Floyd Grandon's Honor » by Amanda Minnie Douglas
Antonyms for relent
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019