Synonyms for persecuted
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : pur-si-kyoot|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈpɜr sɪˌkyut|
Top 10 synonyms for persecuted Other synonyms for the word persecuted
Définition of persecutedOrigin :
- mid-15c., "to oppress for the holding of a belief or opinion," from Middle French persécuter "pursue, torment, open legal action" (14c.), from Latin persecutus, past participle of persequi "to pursue" (see persecution). Related: Persecuted; persecuting.
- verb wrong, torment
- The blessed Savior was persecuted in his very infancy and had to be hid by his parents.
- Extract from : « Biography of a Slave » by Charles Thompson
- You must always be a true knight for the persecuted and unprotected.
- Extract from : « Rico and Wiseli » by Johanna Spyri
- If they have hated me they will hate you also; if they have persecuted me they will persecute you.'
- Extract from : « The Works of Whittier, Volume V (of VII) » by John Greenleaf Whittier
- Is it true that you are persecuted by this knave's addresses?'
- Extract from : « Life And Adventures Of Martin Chuzzlewit » by Charles Dickens
- The guard treated him unfairly, lied about him to the warden, lost his credits, persecuted him.
- Extract from : « White Fang » by Jack London
- He persecuted Vigilius: he deposed his own patriarch Eutychius.
- Extract from : « The Formation of Christendom, Volume VI » by Thomas W. (Thomas William) Allies
- But how was I to know that Strickland Morley was a persecuted saint?
- Extract from : « Kent Knowles: Quahaug » by Joseph C. Lincoln
- And for twelve long months he persecuted me with his attentions.
- Extract from : « The Golden Woman » by Ridgwell Cullum
- The inhabitants were generally Protestants, and Philip persecuted them cruelly.
- Extract from : « Queen Elizabeth » by Jacob Abbott
- Badges of honor; since to be persecuted is nobler than to persecute.
- Extract from : « Dreamers of the Ghetto » by I. Zangwill
Antonyms for persecuted
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019