Synonyms for torture
|Grammar : Noun, verb|
|Spell : tawr-cher|
|Phonetic Transcription : ˈtɔr tʃər|
Top 10 synonyms for torture Other synonyms for the word torture
- third degree
Définition of tortureOrigin :
- early 15c., "contortion, twisting, distortion," from Old French torture "infliction of great pain, great pain, agony," and directly from Late Latin torture "a twisting, writhing, torture, torment," from stem of Latin torquere "to twist, turn, wind, wring, distort" (see thwart).
- noun severe mental or physical pain
- verb upset or hurt severely
- Torture comes, in the minds of many of us, to be not only His main function but His only function.
- Extract from : « The Conquest of Fear » by Basil King
- Torture underwent a special development in the Euphrates valley.
- Extract from : « Folkways » by William Graham Sumner
- It was a grim business that waited him in the Torture Lodge.
- Extract from : « IT and Other Stories » by Gouverneur Morris
- Torture and mutilation, metaphorically speaking, are possible to him.
- Extract from : « The Daughters of Danaus » by Mona Caird
- Torture had been threatened, the fire had been threatened; what was left?
- Extract from : « Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc » by Mark Twain
- Torture may change your mind, as shame shall change your body.
- Extract from : « The Proud Prince » by Justin Huntly McCarthy
- Torture and the cruellest forms of punishment were employed.
- Extract from : « Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 14, Slice 5 » by Various
- Torture was freely used, and slavery was the fate of defaulters.
- Extract from : « The Law of Civilization and Decay » by Brooks Adams
- Torture me—curse me before Heaven—I care not—I am yours—body and soul.
- Extract from : « Under the Witches' Moon » by Nathan Gallizier
- "Torture shall not wrest it from me," answered his sister, firmly.
- Extract from : « Jack Sheppard, Vol. I (of III) » by W. Harrison Ainsworth
Antonyms for torture
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019