Synonyms for enhance
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : en-hans, -hahns|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɛnˈhæns, -ˈhɑns|
Top 10 synonyms for enhance Other synonyms for the word enhance
Définition of enhanceOrigin :
- late 13c., anhaunsen "to raise, make higher," from Anglo-French enhauncer, probably from Old French enhaucier "make greater, make higher or louder; fatten, foster; raise in esteem," from Vulgar Latin *inaltiare, from Late Latin inaltare "raise, exalt," from altare "make high," from altus "high" (see old).
- Meaning "raise in station, wealth, or fame" attested in English from c.1300. The -h- in Old French supposedly from influence of Frankish *hoh "high." Related: Enhanced; enhancing.
- verb improve, embellish
- But to be constant in a virtue is not to enhance its quality.
- Extract from : « The Lyric » by John Drinkwater
- At any rate, he scours the wide world to find what may enhance the value of his soul's delight.
- Extract from : « The Symposium » by Xenophon
- Cork is the Isle of Saints—with a port and a garrison to enhance its sanctity.
- Extract from : « Ireland as It Is » by Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
- Universities must enhance the use, the joy, the worth of existence.
- Extract from : « College Teaching » by Paul Klapper
- If anything could enhance the pleasure of this piece of fortune, it is this fact.
- Extract from : « The Daltons, Volume II (of II) » by Charles James Lever
- She should enhance your pleasures, share your sorrows, and cheer your melancholy.'
- Extract from : « Waverley » by Sir Walter Scott
- This should enhance his great popularity, if such a thing were possible.
- Extract from : « Punch, or the London Charivari, July 1, 1914 » by Various
- A young girl may sometimes, by such courage, sanctify and enhance her modesty.
- Extract from : « Wood Rangers » by Mayne Reid
- Other inscriptions are sometimes found on vases which enhance their value greatly.
- Extract from : « Museum of Antiquity » by L. W. Yaggy
- Her hair was like an amber wreath;Her hat was darker, to enhance it.
- Extract from : « The Book of Humorous Verse » by Various
Antonyms for enhance
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019