Synonyms for elation
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ih-ley-shuh n|
|Phonetic Transcription : ɪˈleɪ ʃən|
Top 10 synonyms for elation Other synonyms for the word elation
Définition of elationOrigin :
- late 14c., from Old French elacion "elation, conceit, arrogance, vanity," from Latin elationem (nominative elatio), noun of action from elatus "elevated," form used as past participle of efferre, from ex- "out" + latus (see oblate (n.)), past participle of ferre "carry" (see infer). Metaphoric sense of "lifting spirits" was in Latin and has always been the principal meaning in English.
- noun extreme happiness
- Pat's elation lasted him overnight and even well on into the next day.
- Extract from : « The Widow O'Callaghan's Boys » by Gulielma Zollinger
- My father is a man who seldom gives way to any elation of mind.
- Extract from : « Vivian Grey » by Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli
- Tom returned, with eyes shining, and cheeks flushed with elation.
- Extract from : « Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout » by Victor Appleton
- This gave him no elation, because he had taken it for granted she would receive him.
- Extract from : « Cleo The Magnificent » by Louis Zangwill
- Ah, that day of the 18th of March, the elation and enthusiasm that it aroused in Maurice!
- Extract from : « The Downfall » by Emile Zola
- “That will do for this time,” she said, in some elation, as she handed the gun to Huntington.
- Extract from : « The Heart of Thunder Mountain » by Edfrid A. Bingham
- “Look at them,” he cried in a voice that was high-pitched with elation.
- Extract from : « The Golden Woman » by Ridgwell Cullum
- She was taking a chance, and she knew it––knew it with a curious sense of elation.
- Extract from : « The Wall Street Girl » by Frederick Orin Bartlett
- From the depths of despondency, I rose to the peaks of elation.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science July 1930 » by Various
- There is no elation in defeating a driver who lies out on the course.
- Extract from : « The Flying Mercury » by Eleanor M. Ingram
Antonyms for elation
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019