Synonyms for collect
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : kuh-lekt|
|Phonetic Transcription : kəˈlɛkt|
Top 10 synonyms for collect Other synonyms for the word collect
Définition of collectOrigin :
- early 15c. (transitive), from Old French collecter "to collect" (late 14c.), from Latin collectus, past participle of colligere "gather together," from com- "together" (see com-) + legere "to gather" (see lecture (n.)). The intransitive sense is attested from 1794. Related: Collected; collecting. As an adjective meaning "paid by the recipient" it is attested from 1893, originally with reference to telegrams.
- verb accumulate, come together
- verb obtain (money)
- It is a fortunate grocer who is able to collect 80 per cent.
- Extract from : « Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 5 » by Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
- He closed them slowly for a moment, as if to collect his routed thoughts.
- Extract from : « The Secret Agent » by Joseph Conrad
- They give you a lot of trouble to collect, and nobody else will trouble to listen.
- Extract from : « It Happened in Egypt » by C. N. Williamson
- That part of one's environment upon which no government has been able to collect taxes.
- Extract from : « The Devil's Dictionary » by Ambrose Bierce
- I beg you, sir, to collect your spirits, and to listen to me calmly.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 8 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- She resolved to run no risk of delay by having the message sent 'to collect.'
- Extract from : « A Woman Intervenes » by Robert Barr
- The second scene being the masquerade, I had time to collect myself.
- Extract from : « Beaux and Belles of England » by Mary Robinson
- You will find it rather a hard material to collect if you set out in earnest.
- Extract from : « The Avenger » by E. Phillips Oppenheim
- Nareda will pay it—and Nareda will collect the ransom from the American capitalists.
- Extract from : « Astounding Stories of Super-Science September 1930 » by Various
- Hugo groaned and stalked over to collect the two dolls and the tea-things.
- Extract from : « Jan and Her Job » by L. Allen Harker
Antonyms for collect
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019