Synonyms for affirmatives
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : uh-fur-muh-tiv|
|Phonetic Transcription : əˈfɜr mə tɪv|
Top 10 synonyms for affirmatives Other synonyms for the word affirmatives
Définition of affirmativesOrigin :
- "answering 'yes,'" mid-15c., from use in logic; from Middle French affirmatif (13c.), from Latin affirmativus, from affirmat-, past participle stem of affirmare (see affirm). As a noun from early 15c. Affirmative action "positive or corrective effort by employers to prevent discrimination in hiring or promotion" is attested from 1935 with regard to labor unions; specific racial sense is from 1961; now often used more generally in reference to hiring quotas, etc.
- As in nod : noun gesture of the head
- As in aye : noun yes
- Now this issue is made up of two affirmatives and no negative.
- Extract from : « The Papers And Writings Of Abraham Lincoln, Volume Two » by Abraham Lincoln
- Courtenay and I bowed our affirmatives with all the grace we could muster.
- Extract from : « The Rover's Secret » by Harry Collingwood
- Now, this issue is made up of two affirmatives, and no negative.
- Extract from : « The Life Of Abraham Lincoln » by Ward H. Lamon
- Now, this issue is made up of two affirmatives and no negative.
- Extract from : « Life of Abraham Lincoln » by Frank Crosby
- The bill was passed by a bare quorum, 28 affirmatives out of 52.
- Extract from : « Thirty Years' View (Vol. II of 2) » by Thomas Hart Benton
- The chorus of affirmatives was short one voice—that of Splinters.
- Extract from : « Motor Matt; or, The King of the Wheel » by Stanley R. Matthews
- Aristotle passes next to Affirmatives, both Universal and Particular.
- Extract from : « Aristotle » by George Grote
- A chorus of affirmatives from the bandits strengthened Kells's statement.
- Extract from : « The Border Legion » by Zane Grey
- But really the premisses given are only two affirmatives of the Second Figure.
- Extract from : « Logic, Inductive and Deductive » by William Minto
- Affirmatives bind not semper et ad semper, as negatives or prohibitions do.
- Extract from : « A Christian Directory (Part 2 of 4) » by Richard Baxter
Antonyms for affirmatives
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019