Synonyms for adversity
|Grammar : Noun|
|Spell : ad-vur-si-tee|
|Phonetic Transcription : ædˈvɜr sɪ ti|
Top 10 synonyms for adversity Other synonyms for the word adversity
Définition of adversityOrigin :
- c.1200, aduersite "misfortune, hardship, difficulty," from Old French aversité "adversity, calamity, misfortune; hostility, wickedness, malice" (Modern French adversité), from Latin adversitatem (nominative adversitas) "opposition," from adversus (see adverse).
- noun bad luck, situation
- Yet, measured according to the stern standards of adversity, Mary was fortunate.
- Extract from : « Within the Law » by Marvin Dana
- It will blunt the keen edge of sorrow, and smooth the asperities of adversity.
- Extract from : « Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. I » by Francis Augustus Cox
- That part of your friend which it is your privilege to contemplate in your adversity.
- Extract from : « The Devil's Dictionary » by Ambrose Bierce
- To fight it out, shoulder to shoulder with my brethren in adversity.
- Extract from : « The Black Bag » by Louis Joseph Vance
- But the great Wampanoag chief was not a man to yield to adversity.
- Extract from : « King Philip » by John S. C. (John Stevens Cabot) Abbott
- We all know how hard it is to keep up under the shock of adversity.
- Extract from : « Lotus Buds » by Amy Carmichael
- Adversity mak's a man wise, they say, if it doesna mak' him rich.
- Extract from : « The Christian » by Hall Caine
- The pestilent coxcomb has his uses, and his uses, like adversity's, are sweet.
- Extract from : « The Lion's Skin » by Rafael Sabatini
- A vine bruised by adversity is in no condition to withstand phylloxera.
- Extract from : « Manual of American Grape-Growing » by U. P. Hedrick
- For even this much of consideration men in adversity are grateful.'
- Extract from : « Gerald Fitzgerald » by Charles James Lever
Antonyms for adversity
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019