Synonyms for administer
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ad-min-uh-ster|
|Phonetic Transcription : ædˈmɪn ə stər|
Top 10 synonyms for administer Other synonyms for the word administer
- be in the driver's seat
- be in the saddle
- crack the whip
- dole out
- head up
- hold the reins
- measure out
- mete out
- pull the strings
- pull the wires
- ride herd on
- run the show
- sit on top of
Définition of administerOrigin :
- late 14c., administren, aministren "to manage as a steward," from Old French amenistrer "help, aid, be of service to" (12c., Modern French administrer, the -d- restored 16c.), and directly from Latin administrare "manage, control, guide, superintend; rule direct," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + ministrare "serve" (see minister (v.)). Used of medicine, etc., "to give," from 1540s. Related: Administered; administering.
- verb manage an organization or effort
- verb dispense something needed
- They administer stinging rebukes that leave the adversary writhing.
- Extract from : « The Spenders » by Harry Leon Wilson
- Her first duty was clearly to administer to his comfort, and that was precisely what she would do.
- Extract from : « Dust » by Mr. and Mrs. Haldeman-Julius
- “What we want is to administer a tonic to the Conference in Milan,” he said airily.
- Extract from : « The Secret Agent » by Joseph Conrad
- There was no one else to administer judgment, and Mrs. Wilson felt the necessity.
- Extract from : « Meadow Grass » by Alice Brown
- The Barnacle family had for some time helped to administer the Circumlocution Office.
- Extract from : « Little Dorrit » by Charles Dickens
- Before she slept, I said, he must administer an antidote to Coates's poison.
- Extract from : « Tales And Novels, Volume 9 (of 10) » by Maria Edgeworth
- Be calm, and I will administer a remedy more appropriate to your wrongs.
- Extract from : « Imogen » by William Godwin
- Nor did Marion forget to administer a share to James, who was not a little in want of it.
- Extract from : « Salted With Fire » by George MacDonald
- She was on her feet in an instant, bending over him ready to administer the drugs Doc.
- Extract from : « The Night Riders » by Ridgwell Cullum
- Asaph, who had leaned forward to administer it, was frowning and shaking his head.
- Extract from : « Cy Whittaker's Place » by Joseph C. Lincoln
Antonyms for administer
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019