Synonyms for acknowledges
|Grammar : Verb|
|Spell : ak-nol-ij|
|Phonetic Transcription : ækˈnɒl ɪdʒ|
Top 10 synonyms for acknowledges Other synonyms for the word acknowledges
Définition of acknowledgesOrigin :
- 1550s, a blend of Middle English aknow (from Old English oncnawan "understand," from on + cnawan "recognize;" see know) and Middle English knowlechen "admit, acknowledge" (c.1200; see knowledge). In the merger, a parasitic -c- slipped in, so that while the kn- became a simple "n" sound (as in know), the -c- stepped up to preserve, in this word, the ancient "kn-" sound. Related: Acknowledged; acknowledging.
- verb verbally recognize authority
- verb admit truth or reality of something
- verb verbally recognize receipt of something
- He acknowledges his folly for having ever spoken lightly of matrimony.
- Extract from : « Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9) » by Samuel Richardson
- Later on, too, he intervenes in France and acknowledges the legitimacy of the Republic.
- Extract from : « The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete » by Emile Zola
- The Israelite Issa acknowledges the crime of which he is accused.
- Extract from : « The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ » by Nicolas Notovitch
- It also acknowledges that many differences of kind are resolvable into differences of degree.
- Extract from : « Sophist » by Plato
- Simmias acknowledges that there is cowardice in not probing truth to the bottom.
- Extract from : « Phaedo » by Plato
- Is Plato an upholder of the conventional theory of language, which he acknowledges to be imperfect?
- Extract from : « Cratylus » by Plato
- Acknowledges the reception of certain resolutions of Congress.
- Extract from : « The Diplomatic Correspondence of the American Revolution, Vol. IX » by Various
- When one once acknowledges that she was not a common woman, then all this is easily understood.
- Extract from : « Chance » by Joseph Conrad
- But who can be assured that he has the talent if no one acknowledges it?
- Extract from : « The Poetical Works of William Collins » by William Collins
- He acknowledges that there are splendid lines, phrases, and whole passages.
- Extract from : « Four Americans » by Henry A. Beers
Antonyms for acknowledges
Based on : Thesaurus.com - Gutenberg.org - Dictionary.com - Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019